The Coordinates are off of trail D, behind the Reagan Bathhouse. Alan had heard that when Reagan was a lifeguard there, he saved 77 lives. For every life he saved, he put a notch in a log. Now I don't know of a monument or "fake log" that this may refer to, but it sounds like Sean scoped out the place pretty well and came up empty. Please peruse this map at your leisure and let me know if you have any epiphanies.
Now I really wish I had spent some time on the logs by the river. "Over the course of 7 summers, Ronald Reagan saved 77 lives, a number he kept track of by cutting a notch in a log on the river’s edge." -http://www.reaganfoundation.org
ReplyDeleteIf it's not found by next weekend, I'm up for revisiting. Can you go into some more detail on the "X in NJ being TeN, or the NewsboY" stuff? Not having access to the launch clues, I'm just going off what you posted :)
Researching some more, it's said that the log is no longer there. My guess is that Colbert's team would have recreated it, so we'd want to look for a log with 77 notches next to the river.
ReplyDeleteIt just seems like the coordinates are too precise to have you then wander around searching.
ReplyDeleteThe question that I had regarding the coordinates comes down to the pictures on the initial treasure map. You can check out the first blog post for the map with pics. When the states are placed in alphabetical order, they form the second set of coordinates (the pics in the circle are the end of each set).
AL= GA (Ganesha)
AK= IL (Israel)
AZ= CT (cat)
AR= AL (anthill)
CA= MA (maraca [circle])
CO= IN (iron)
DE= MT (Mr. T)
FL= KS (koalas)
GA= VT (vest [circle])
HI= NV (Nureyev)
ID= WV (WebTV)
IL= MO (Magneto)
IN= AR (alligator)
IA= NM (Norm [circle])
KS= DE (dime)
KY= PA (panda)
LA= ME (mouse)
ME= WI (wasabi [circle])
MD= ND (nerd)
MA= CO (cappuccino)
MI= FL (fingernail)
MN= TX (Tampax)
MS= HI (hibachi [circle])
MO= MN (mountain)
MT= ID (ipod)
NE= WY (wallaby)
NV= OR (odometer)
NH= MN (Madden [circle])
NJ= TN (Ten)
NM= KY (key)
NY= AK (aardvark)
NC= AZ (Alcatraz)
ND= NY (newsboy [circle])
OH= MS (matches)
OK= MI (Magi)
OR= CA (Coca Cola)
PA= NE (Neptune)
RI= WA (WNBA [circle])
Since the dot to dot relies on us being correct on the picture identification, a misstep may reveal a different number. I'm 99% sure we are correct, but I keep second guessing. I'm not sure if any other numbers can be made from a different combo, but the ones I question the most are:
1) NJ- X, we assume it stands for TN (ten), but could it be something else??
2) OK- Magi, at first I thought it was Three Wise Men (TN), but Magi works so well
3) MA- cappuccino, I thought it was a latte or coffee, but unsure if there is another coffee like drink that would work. It's kind of a generic picture.
4) ND- newsboy, I keep thinking that I'm wrong on this, but I'm not sure what else would work
5) MO- mountain, it is K2, but that doesn't work, pretty sure it's mountain, but it's a double with Madden
I tried changing each of the 5 questionable states to something else. Anything other than what we have already and those plotted lines just become squiggles instead of numbers. You'd have to change at least two states in a set to get a different number.
ReplyDeleteExcellent...Thanks for chugging through the data. It does work out too well with our original thoughts. I think that only NJ(TN)/ND(NY) would be two points that could move in the same group, but I can't work out a different number that would work.
DeleteHoping for answers soon...
I've wasted so much time on this treasure hunt that I'd like to waste more....
ReplyDeleteIf the turtle is still out there, does anyone want to go treasure hunting Lowell Park this weekend? (I'll fly from L.A.)
And in Dixon it looks like W 1st street is covered in bars...
hit me up if you're down....
@ElRexican
Man, I hope you find it. Just mark it up as one expensive bar crawl if you don't. Sean and I scoped out the area at the coordinates pretty well, but I agree, a fake log near the river would be pretty logical as well. Keep us updated on your plans, and hopefully, a search party will come together. Still waiting to hear anything on the show about someone finding it.
DeleteI'll be there first thing Saturday morning if no one announces they've found it before then.
ReplyDeleteTotally got sick and not gonna fly out now :-(
ReplyDeleteGood luck Sean!
Thanks! Will let you know how it goes!
ReplyDeleteSean - are you a silver turtle bell richer yet?
ReplyDeleteApparently these guys stole your thunder: http://realpersoninreallife.blogspot.com/2012_06_01_archive.html.
ReplyDeleteGood thing ElRexican didn't fly out there.
Also, because I'm a hater and conspiracist I *highly* doubt the explanation on that post that suggests they magically figured it all out by themselves.
Whew! Good thing I got sick....
ReplyDeleteLooks like the blog is invite only - did they find it or is that the Cat Super PAC?
ReplyDeleteIt was *not* invite only a few hours ago, which means they obviously read this blog and privatized it.
ReplyDeleteFortunately, I expected that might happen and so I took screenshots. Here is a screenshot of the end of the blog showing that they did indeed find the turtle.
http://imgur.com/pFACC